Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mass Media in My Life

The media has always been a large part of my life in terms of entertainment and networking. As someone who grew up during the mid nineties/early millennium, the internet was my first introduction into the exciting world of mass media. I remember making my first AOL email account and receiving updates on all kinds of current events, from politics to the entertainment business. However, as is expected of most pre-teens, politics was very low on my list of things to discover. That lack of interest has been fully nurtured by a society who no longer believes in discretion or privacy; Any opportunity that presented itself to me to learn about the more important things going on in the world, was overshadowed by celebrity gossip that was made to look ten times more entertaining than any breaking news that was reported. Unfortunately, that bias toward gossip, instead of factual information, has created some pretty horrific tendencies. For example, in stead of starting my homework at 7 (as I had planned), I looked up celebrity reactions to the Kanye West VMA disaster. Some might say, because of observation alone, that mass media is very important to me, but I see it as just another vice that has become apart of all the other things I do throughout the day: sleep, eat, workout, check E! news for any celebrity gossip. It doesn't help that the majority of my educational obligations require a computer as I am, for the most part, an internet consumer. Thus because it is so much apart of my everyday routine, I would have to call myself an expert.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... AOL the memorable screeching as you logged on. Those were the days.

    But, I must agree with what you said, we have been raised in a society that has horridly conflicting views on privacy. We want our own, yet we crave to see what it is that our favorite celebrity has been getting into.

    In my opinion it is this complete opposition of views which we hold within ourselves that will bring our society to the ground. We must get past this hypocrisy, instead of internet stalking your favorite celebrity make closer relationships with those around you. If we break down some of the privacy walls within ourselves we will be less likely to have the urge to spy on though who we truly know nothing about.

    P.S. Sorry to get all advice column-y;)

    ReplyDelete